Saturday 19 May 2012

Prisoner of The Night


The night is moonless, not a single star in the sky. I look up at the darkness and think of the constellations. It was months ago when I looked up at the sky, holding a lantern in my hand. The light filled me up that night, the kind moonlight. I think of Moses and how he must have felt walking up the mountain of Sinai. The wholeness, the satiation, the joy of the one who found a secret pathway to heavens. I was dazzled by the light when the night quietly, tenderly crawled in my veins and began to flow, the night of the 25th.

I walk under the moonless sky and think of that night, its very thought strums my heart and all I hear is shrieks, no words, no thoughts, no visions just waves of pains pushing the tears to shore. 

It grew in me like a vine, spreading everywhere. It covered my thinking like a cloud. The days began to revolve around it, my existence was fading and the night was taking over, unaware I laid under the sky marveling the constellation, Orion.  

The night secretly continued stealing the stars. The sky was turning dark while unaware, besotted I danced the dance of joy.
The dancers dance,
Tapping their toes,
tip tap tip, tip tap tip
The singers sing,
the melody echoes,
The orchestra plays,
The notes go high,
and low and high
till the dancers are the song,
the singers are the music,
merging into one
another
and all !
the cries, the claps,
the cheers, the tears,
the pain, the pleasures……..”

I danced and danced and the night kept stealing the stars, robbing the sky off its glittering hopes. That night, I laid under a shady tree, in the kind moonlight; I fell asleep like a child in her mother’s lap.

When I woke up, the moon had faded into darkness. The storms uprooted the last of the shady trees and the ground under my feet was barren.


Words lost, thoughts blank
I turned to Prayers
And found them mute
I ran to angels
And found them deaf
I searched my heart
Every nook and corner
I looked and looked and looked for him
My God was Gone!
My God was Gone...

The thirst, the unquenchable thirst. 

The night ran through my veins and took over my soul; all I can see is the darkness wrapped around a moonless sky, robbed off the moon and the stars. 

I walk for miles; I fall and walk again searching for the morning star in the stretch of night but everything I touch turns into darkness, merging into the night. I walk miles and miles, my feet blistered and my lips parched but the night has no end and no beginning to return to.
The Sinai of Moses is burned.  

3 comments:

  1. Nazish Fatima Syed20 May 2012 at 15:30

    This is awesome dear.......its many lives in one night

    ReplyDelete
  2. and many nights in one life. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to give you some thing to read :-)

    ReplyDelete